St.Ann's Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1858, when a brick church was built near the present structure. It was a German church and the Jesuit priests spoke German.
Construction of St. Ann's was completed in 1886, after eight years of construction. The project took that long because the parish was required to raise the money to pay for the construction as it progressed.
German stained glass windows were imported as the years went by, and six bells were installed in the spires, the largest of which is 7,800 pounds. Buffalo woodcarver Heinrich Schmitt created the large wooden statues over the columns.
St. Ann's enlarged its school and had the largest Catholic grammar school population in Buffalo. The church, with its adjacent residences for the Jesuit priests and Sisters of St. Francis nuns, became the focal point of the neighborhood in services to the community.